Port forward DNS requests

Danimal dannie.stanley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 21:56:07 UTC 2005

We are chaning our DNS setup a bit and our secondary nameserver will be
changing.  For the purposes of this email I will go ahead and call them
as follows (host names changed for privacy purposes):

   Current Primary: ns1.goColts.com
   Current Secondary: ns2.goColts.com
   Future Secondary: ns1.beatPatriots.com

We have 38 active doamins pointing to ns1/ns2.goColts.com.  As you know
updating registrar records can take a long time, especially since we
aren't the technical contact on most of them.

The new secondary, ns1.beatPatriots.com, will be on a different IP
subnet hosted at a far off location.  So while the registrar records
are slowly being updated could I port forward traffic from
ns2.goColts.com to ns1.beatPatriots.com?

At the network layer this seems pretty doable.  I wasn't sure at the
application layer if BIND would have trouble since it wouldn't
recognise itself as ns2.goColts.com.

Thanks for any insight on this topic.

Have a good day,
Dannie