Maximum named.conf entries

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Aug 10 23:42:06 UTC 2005

> Hi all.  I am using Bind 9 and was wondering what the max entries are
> in the
> named.conf file.  We are up to about 30500 entries.  I have a fairly
> beefy machine (64bit opteron) and 4 gigs of ram for our name server, so
> processing shouldn't be a problem.  I am hoping to get it up and over
> 75,000 entries on a single server?  Does anyone know if this is a
> problem with bind or not.
>
> I can't use any other DNS solution because of some proprietary
> software we are using that is built on  top of bind.
>
> If you have any info I would really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

	This is a bit like asking "how long is a bit of string?".

	There are no limits on the number of zones[1] / number of
	records in named.  At some point the configuration will
	exceed the ability of the hardware / OS to support it.

	Serving 1 zone can push the machines limits, think of COM.

	Mark

	[1] BIND 8 has a limit of 2**24-1 (16777215) zones.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org