resolving dns name to another dns name?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Aug 6 21:19:40 UTC 2005

> This mailing list is about BIND. The question was, can you have
> www.ourdomain.com point to www.theirdomain.com. The answer is yes.

Actually the question was very unclear.

> Try going to http://www.vistant.com and http://www.vistant.net.

My webserver is configured to discriminate on IP address. Many (most!) webservers discriminate on name, and they WILL fail do do what the OP wanted unless they are configured to accept the new name. That may or may not be a problem in his specific case - that's why I mentioned it in the first place.

> There are many people out there that configure their web servers
> wrong, and it would not work with them (those that do not have a
> default web page)

This isn't "wrong", it's about what is needed for a given application.

> beside the point though. The question was about how to create a CNAME
> record.

Partly. And my original answer, in spite of your peculiar insistence to the contrary, was correct in every detail.

Regards, K.