resolving dns name to another dns name?

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at CATO.GD-AIS.COM
Fri Aug 5 21:56:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, David Boyer wrote:

> Okay, I'm being told I can create a CNAME entry that will allow us to
> resolve a DNS name to another DNS name, basically causing a redirect:
>
> www.ourdomain.com     IN    CNAME    www.theirdomain.com
>
> I tried this and it obviously doesn't work (BIND 9.3.1, SUSE Pro 9.2).
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this?

Are you using YaST to configure your zone information?  It doesn't work
correctly.  Assuming that the current origin is "ourdomain.com", all you
need is an entry.

	WWW		IN	CNAME	WWW.THEIRDOMAN.COM.

Note that WWW.THEIRDOMIN.COM. has a trailing "dot" to identify it as a
fully-qualified domain name.  Without the "dot", the current, effective
$ORIGIN will be appended to the name.

As written, your CNAME statement defines

	WWW.OURDOMAIN.COM.OURDOMAIN.COM.

as a canonical name for

	WWW.THEIRDOMAN.COM.OURDOMAIN.COM.

Merton Campbell Crockett