resolving dns name to another dns name?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Aug 6 08:37:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:12:14 -0700, Kurt Boyack <kboyack at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You need to tell us in exactly what way it "doesn't work". Error messages, log entries...?
>
> Judging by the example, the problem is the missing periods.

Lots of people type in their examples rather than copy and paste actual configuration fragments; they sometimes miss out important info. That was just one possibility, since he didn't actually say in what way it wasn't working.

> Sure, the guy wants to have www.hp.com go to his website so he can
> bring in more traffic. The example shows OURdomains pointing to
> THEIRdomains.

Yes, and the example "didn't work". So maybe that wasn't what he wanted, hm?

> [re missing full stops]
> Two other people have already pointed this out.

Sadly my mails seem to take a long time to get to the public eye. at the time I wrote and posted my reply, noone else had posted an answer.

> > And last but not least, the webserver has to recognise the name it is being accessed under.
>
> Not true. I can have www.MYdomain.com point to www.anyotherdomain.com.
> That would work for most web servers (at least all of the ones that
> are set up correctly IMHO).

The client crafts the request packet. That request is what the server sees, if a simple DNS-level redirection is used. That request has to be acceptable to the server. If the server is distinguishing virtual domains on host name, it may not accept a DNS-redirected request, or may process it in an unexpected way.

Regards, K.