resolving dns name to another dns name?

Kurt Boyack kboyack at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 05:12:14 UTC 2005

On 8/5/05, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> > www.ourdomain.com     IN    CNAME    www.theirdomain.com
> >
> > I tried this and it obviously doesn't work (BIND 9.3.1, SUSE Pro 9.2).
>=20
> You need to tell us in exactly what way it "doesn't work". Error messages=
, log entries...?

Judging by the example, the problem is the missing periods.

> You also need to tell us exactly what you actually want to achieve. Do yo=
u want people who type in "www.theirdomain.com" to come to "www.ourdomain.c=
om", or the other way around? If you want to redirect them to you, then THE=
Y have to set up the redirection, you can't do it. Otherwise anyone could h=
ijack any name they wanted :-)

Sure, the guy wants to have www.hp.com go to his website so he can
bring in more traffic. The example shows OURdomains pointing to
THEIRdomains.

> There should be a full stop after www.ourdomain.com and after www.theirdo=
main.com, otherwise what you are really getting is "www.ourdomain.com.ourdo=
main.com. IN CNAME www.theirdomain.com.ourdomain.com.".

Two other people have already pointed this out.

> And last but not least, the webserver has to recognise the name it is bei=
ng accessed under.

Not true. I can have www.MYdomain.com point to www.anyotherdomain.com.
That would work for most web servers (at least all of the ones that
are set up correctly IMHO).