zone definition help request

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Sat Apr 16 22:14:34 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> I have several virtual domains that I am responsible for.

There's no such thing as a virtual domain. If you are talking about a
Web server those are virtual http servers which is something totally
different.

>  They are
> usually web addressess and as such have to be teid to a public address
> on  the firewall.  We have an internal dns server I would like the dns
> server  to not resolve the external address but the internal address
> so that the  internal clients don't have to go through the firewall to
> get the page.  I  have this working for one domain but the way I did
> it was to create a  specific zone for the domain on the dns server I
> have about 20 domains and  I would like to know if there is a way I
> can setup one zone to encompass  all the various domains in one file
> or do I have to create a seperate zone  file for each domain.
> Please can someone assist me.

If you are hosting all of these http pages on the same system you can
set up one file with the A record in it using the
@  IN A 1.2.3.4
syntax plus the usual SOA, NS records and then in the config file
just create zones for the specific addresses and point them all to the
same file. I do this all the time.

Danny