Is '.local' officially defined/reserved ?

Chris Cox chris_cox at stercomm.com
Fri Apr 15 23:25:09 UTC 2005

Simon Hobson wrote:
...snip...

> Yep, very interesting reading. Following a few links, I found an
> another answer to your "Mac not working with .local" problem at
> http://www.multicastdns.org/DLLC/
>
> But, it looks like .local isn't a good choice for a 'local' tld !
>
> Simon

Newer versions of glibc (contained already in SUSE9.2/SLES9) assume
multicast for .local names.  You can pretty easily do a binary edit
on libresolv.so and change the name to something other than local.
IMHO, they should not have hard coded the behavior.

Nearly every M$ admin is trained to use .local for local AD domains.