Subdomains

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Apr 12 00:29:34 UTC 2005

In article <d3edb1$2qau$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Kris McElroy" <kmcelroy at duracom.net> wrote:

> I have a domain simplyschools.net.  I have several schools that want their
> own email address say user at school1.simplyschools.net.  Few questions:
>
> 1. DO I setup one zone file simplyschools.net and put A records in that zone
> file for the mail server:
>
> mail.school1            A       65.66.8.103
> school1                 CNAME   mx1.duracom.net.
>
> What will the zone file respond with when asked what are the mx records for
> school1.simplyschools.net?  Should I do this another way.

I think it should be:

school1 MX 10 mx1.duracom.net.
        MX 20 mx2.duracom.net.

just like the MX record for simplyschools.net itself.  You also need to
contact duracom.net and get them to configure their mail servers to
accept mail for the subdomains.

I'm not sure what the mail.school1 entry you suggested is supposed to be
for, so I don't know whether you need it or not.  Is that your POP/IMAP
server?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA