defining service ceilings

Tim Peiffer peiffer at umn.edu
Mon Apr 11 18:38:07 UTC 2005

Are there any BCP documents that cover methodologies for measuring or
defining the maximum number of queries that a DNS server is capable
of?    Are there any defined test suites that we should be running?  I
am looking for documentation that would help validate the testing that
we have already done.

Example:
We recently installed new hardware that replaced our authoritative
nameservers.  The hardware used to be run on FreeBSD 4.X, and Bind 8.X.
Daily  query averages are running approximately 600 qps total across all
of the servers.  After replacing the hardware with Sun V60 and RedHat
AS,  we were able to create a query source file and use the queryperf
utility, we were able to establish a service ceiling of approximately
5500qps.

Tim Peiffer
Networking and Telecommunications Services.
University of Minnesota