Help with views...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 12 00:29:40 UTC 2005

Dev Null wrote:

>OK, I think I need to use views.
>
>I have a hosting company that has given me 2 IP address. on the same
>machine of course..
>
>So, I thought I would run both the master and slave servers .. one on
>each IP address.

The whole point of the "at least 2 nameservers per zone" rule is
redundancy. You don't get redundancy if you run the master and slave
nameservers (and no other published slaves) on the same machine -- your
machine is then a Single Point of Failure for the zone(s). Find some
other machine, preferably at a different location, to be your slave. You
get even *less* redundancy if you run master and slave in the same
nameserver *instance* under different views (I assume that's what you
were planning to do), so that puts you even further into "unclear on the
concept" territory...

                                                                  - Kevin