Sub-domain delegation for BIND 9.2.3

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 3 05:31:17 UTC 2004

In article <ch8g9v$97k$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Apache Apache" <apacheusr at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have done as advised but when I performed a nslookup, I can only get
> non-existent host/domain and not able to resolve host.xyz.company.abc.com.
> Pls advise is there anything that I missed out. Thank you.

If the servers for the subdomain are in the subdomain itself, you also
need glue records in the parent zone.  So the company.abc.com domain
needs:

xyz IN NS ns1.xyz
    IN NS ns2.xyz
ns1.xyz IN A 1.2.3.4
ns2.xyz IN A 1.2.3.5

If this doesn't help, tell us the real domains involved so we can query
your servers ourselves and see what's wrong.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA