A curious Error

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Sep 2 22:19:50 UTC 2004

> Howdy
>
> Last night the named processed died and gave me the following error:
>
> Sep  2 03:08:07 kona named[25165]: general: info: zone
> 104.216.132.in-addr.arpa/IN: refresh: failure trying master
> 132.206.85.21#53: timed out
> Sep  2 03:08:07 kona named[25165]: general: warning: unknown control
> channel command 'null'
> Sep  2 03:08:07 kona named[25165]: general: info: shutting down:
> flushing changes
> Sep  2 03:08:07 kona named[25165]: general: notice: stopping command
> channel on 0.0.0.0#953
>
> Now a google for the "unknown control channel command" error yields only
> the source code and this error
> appears at the end of a very long "case" statement. Which already tells
> me it should never happen or at least
> happen once in several blue moons.
>
> Now the line immediately above is an xfer from an AD server for which we
> are secondary.
> Additionally there was a considerable "drift" in the time, so that the
> primary lagged (badly)
> behind the secondary.
>
> I have never seen this error before and I am somewhat curious as to what
> caused it and how
> it can be avoided.

	You are/were running an old named with a new rndc.

1480.   [bug]           Provide replay protection for rndc commands.  Full
                        replay protection requires both rndc and named to
                        be updated.  Partial replay protection (limited
                        exposure after restart) is provided if just named
                        is updated.

	If it continues ensure that you are starting the right instance
	of named.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC