Why is nsupdate in $prefix/bin instead of $prefix/sbin?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Sep 27 05:45:12 UTC 2004

Doug Barton <DougB at dougbarton.net> wrote:
> Folks,

> Pardon me if this is a silly question, but I'm curious about the
> reasoning. The nsupdate binary is being installed in $prefix/bin, in
> spite of the fact that it seems to me to be much more of a "system"
> binary than a "user" binary, and the man page is still in section 8. Is
> it anticipated that unprivileged users would need to run nsupdate? If
> so, then placing it in bin makes sense, but doesn't that imply that the
> manual should move to section 1?

> I'm asking because we are almost done with the finishing touches of
> installing BIND 9.3.0 in the FreeBSD base distribution, and I want to b=
> sure that the way we do this best fits the long term, most desirable
> structure.

Previous nsupdate was located at "/usr/sbin/nsupdate", i'll suggest the b=
ind-9
is installed in the same place.

At the same time i would like to suggest moving named.conf to a more
conventional location : /etc/named.conf and in the same spirit start=20
shipping /var/named as the "home-location" for zonefiles.

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,