Returned mail due to Remote-MTA: DNS;??

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 23 14:48:32 UTC 2004

froula1 at llnl.gov (dustin) wrote:

> I am having an issue with configuring my DNS to include a mail server.
> I believe the error is in the line: Remote-MTA: DNS; babylonfroula.com
>
> There should be a . between babylon and froula! I found the error in
> the db.froula file and corrected it; after resarting named the mail
> still bounces with the same issue. Below is the error message I get
> and both the named.conf and corresponding db.file.

The remote system's DNS server probably has the old value cached,
so it will take some time for it to see your change, upto three days
judging by your zone file.

> ; Zone file for froula.com
> ;
> ; The full zone file
> ;
> ;
> $TTL 3D
> @       IN      SOA     babylon.froula.com. admin at froula.com. (
>                         2000072002      ; serial
>                         28800           ; Refresh
>                         14400           ; Retry
>                         3600000         ; Expire
>                         86400 )         ; Minimum
>
>                 IN      NS      ns1.froula.com.
>                 IN      NS      ns2.froula.com.
> @               IN      A       69.226.136.145
> www             IN      CNAME   froula.com.
> @               IN      MX      50      babylon.froula.com.

Several things wrong there: you have no A record for babylon.froula.com,
nor for ns1 and ns2, and the SOA admin is in the wrong format.  Try
the following, using the correct IP addresses as I've guessed at these
based on your delegation from .com, which you should match.

Also note I have changed the serial number to be first change today;
remember to update that when you change the zone, so that your slave
server keeps in step.

$TTL 3D
@       IN      SOA     ns1.froula.com. admin.froula.com. (
                        2004092301      ; serial
                        28800           ; Refresh
                        14400           ; Retry
                        3600000         ; Expire
                        86400 )         ; Minimum

        IN      NS      ns1.froula.com.
        IN      NS      ns2.froula.com.
        IN      MX      50      babylon.froula.com.
        IN      A       69.226.136.145
;
babylon.froula.com.         IN      A       69.226.136.145
ns1.froula.com.             IN      A       69.226.136.145
ns2.froula.com.             IN      A       69.226.136.146
;
www.froula.com.             IN      CNAME   froula.com.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>