Retrieving stats with BIND9

David Stern dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Sep 14 15:57:30 UTC 2004

Richard King wrote:

> Barry thanks for the reply!
>
> > Every hour it logs the current running stats.  To get per-second
> > averages, you find two messages in the log, subtract the corresponding
> > values from them, and divide by the number of seconds between them.
>
> However, i was under the impression that BIND 9.2.4 did not log the
> stats or have a category statistics available?? am i missing
> something?  I guess i could dump the stats using RNDC STATS but it
> just seemed there was almost nothing there.

May need to set it up in your named.conf eg in the options section:
  statistics-file "/var/tmp/named.stats";
will dump the stats to that file when you rndc stats. Obviously,
you'll need to insure that whomever runs bind can write there.

(Note that this is relative to the root. If you're running
chroot, you'll need to prepend that path to get to the actual
location where the file resides.

To get a lot of them (depending on how many zones you have) add
  zone-statistics yes;
This will break them up by zone.

The top of the dump will have a timestamp as will the bottom.
You'll need to subtract one from the other to see how many seconds
has passed since the last request for stats to make the stats
meaningful.

I don't think you need to add any logging statements