Windows 2003 AD

Norman Zhang norman.zhang at rd.arkonnetworks.com
Mon Sep 13 21:25:31 UTC 2004

Elzey, Blaine A (Blaine) wrote:
> I believe you can use keys, but you have to statically configure the keys and servers/clients in order to use this type of restriction. See the BIND9 documentation on allow-update and address_match_list_element. (The last post is correct in that you do not specify a key file, but a key name (that has been defined elsewhere in the named.conf with a key statement.) If you want to allow secure dynamic updates with GSS-TSIG (from MS clients), you will need MS-DNS or Lucent DNS.

named.conf does contain rndc-key (sorry I now realized I made a typo in
my original post "rndc.key" should be "rndc-key").

I have ISC's DHCP installed on the same box, so I guess I don't need to
change allow-update to IP addresses?

// secret must be the same as in /etc/rndc.conf
key "rndc-key" {
   algorithm hmac-md5;
   secret "8mTgBumsU7SEaYkDvE2RvW9q1TJe6sRbBVYUtwPQCdg/CHV/vSWkJ1K2pOGM";
};

controls {
   inet 127.0.0.1 allow { any; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
};

Regards,
Norman