Lame delegation to server with cached NS data.

Two Dog twodog at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 19:48:32 UTC 2004

Hello,

While this is more of a DNS question than a BIND question I do
appreciate your help with this, as I'm having some trouble
understanding it.

The domain in question is wecdsb.on.ca when I query it returns an
answer only occasionally. This domain is not under our control or do I
have any authority over it.

I did a traversal of the domain at http://www.squish.net/dnscheck and
saw that one of the name servers for that domain ns4.dm.egate.net is
"Loop Detected! Probable cause is lame delegation to server with
cached NS data"

As far as I understand it that means the egate.net name server is
sending out the request for a question it already has the answer too
thereby creating a loop.  Would that be correct?  If so what could one
do to resolve that issue?

I've also tried looking up this domain against other name servers and
they too occasionally return a timed out result or no host.

How can I educate this customer that the 'problem' in question does
not exist on our network but his network layout?

Thanks so much.

Peter