Bind9 comments in cache_dump.db & lame.log

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Mon Sep 13 07:18:31 UTC 2004

Can isc consider appending a comment to cache_dump.db records about
where it has come from? Bind8 had it and it proved to be very useful, in
speeding up the routine troubleshooting.

Similar thing for reporting lame servers, nobody knows who (which
parent) advertised the logged lame server in it's NS records. There are
equal chances that the one of the parent has it's child NS records
misconfigured. As above it proved to be useful to me.

it might be easy to live without if you have one two cases per week, you
can go through all parents or through all authoritative servers, if
luckily the delegations have not changed before you noticed a problem
but most of the time the delegation changes and you are left blind
thinking who has send you this or who have delegate this, nobody will
ever discover, if bind cannot assist here.

I noticed 9.3 has +/- sign for recursive/nonrecursive, which is great,
and as well some other attributes (like +E... is it EDNS or does anybody
know these shorts?)

Ladislav