subdomain problem...

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Sep 11 01:47:28 UTC 2004

In article <chs8ca$17vk$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Tom Schmitt" <TomSchmitt at gmx.de> wrote:

> > > When you want to make subdomains elsewhere, which means to delegate
> > > the
> > > subdomain, you only have to add these to records in the zone above and
> > > nothing else:
> > > subdomain.yourdomain.de IN NS nameofnameserver.subdomain.yourdomain.de
> > > nameofnameserver.subdomain.yourdomain.de IN A 1.2.3.4
> >
> > You seem to be talking about subzones, not subdomains.  For subdomains,
> > you can put all the records in the same zone file, as the previous
> > response explained.
> >

> Can you explain that? The subdomain can contain several zones, so what is
> the goal putting them all together in one zonefile?

The question should be asked the other way around: if the subdomains are
being hosted by the same server as the parent domain, what's the goal of
putting them in different zonefiles?  The primary purpose of delegating
subzones is that there's an administrative difference, with the zones
being managed by different people and/or hosted on different sets of
servers.

There are some cases of really large zones where there are benefits to
splitting it up, just to cut down the overhead of reloading or
transfering the zone.  However, incremental transfers can also solve the
zone transfer problem.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA