"DNS server for Windows XP?"

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Thu Sep 9 05:36:30 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net>
Subject: Re: "DNS server for Windows XP?"

>>Danny, I haven't looked at BIND 9.3.0 yet.  Is running under a user
>>account now a requirement for running 9.3.0 on all Windows platforms?
>>Or are you just saying it's now possible to run with minimum privileges
>>whereas it wasn't possible previously?  I take the installation is a bit
>>different from prior versions where BIND's dlls were installed in system
>>directories?
>
> No, it's for security. You can do it for any version of BIND. However,
> the installer didn't have the smarts until 9.3.0 to set it up. You can
> do this manually but requires a set of instructions. It's not just a
> matter of adding a user account.  In fact it shouldn't be a user
> account. It's not a matter of where the dll's and exe's are installed.
> That doesn't matter at all.

Are these instructions available online somewhere?

I'm not sure I understand then what you mean by the difference between a
'named' account and a user account.  Either the service runs under the
local SYSTEM account or a user account.

Will the 9.3.0 installer also have the smarts to upgrade a previous
installation of BIND 9 to a secure setup as well?