BIND 9.3.0rc4 is now available.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Sep 9 02:50:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 06:58:25AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> 	That's what aliases / shell scripts are for
>
> 	alias mynslookup dig +search +noall +answer -f -
>
> 	$HOME/bin/mynslookup
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	exec dig +search +noall +answer -f -

Yes.  But it's not part of the install.  And I don't see most users
writing their own aliases or scripts ...  ;-]

> > As I had said, 'nslookup' is really only evil when using it to find
> > problems with DNS.  If DNS is known to be set up correctly, then it's a
> > perfectly adequate tool for what it's been used for 99.99% of the time
> > - translating names to IP addresses and back.
>
> 	Actually what most people want for that is a wrapper to
> 	getaddrinfo().  Something that looks at DNS, NIS, /etc/hosts,
> 	LDAP or whatever other database they have for name to address
> 	translations and applies the default search list.  None of
> 	host/nslookup/dig really meets the requirements.

Exactly right!  And I had thought of re-writing nslookup [or some tool,
but nslookup seemed most broken already] to do something like that.
But I seem to have less time every day.  ;-]

> 	perl and it's ability to call getaddrinfo() etc. does.

What I had been thinking was that the stub library routines and get*()
routines might have out-of-band information that would be accessible
when compiled for inclusion into the program of which I'm thinking.
Then it would not only report what it is doing, but any variance from
looking it up via DNS.  Or perhaps only if -debug or -d2 is set.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B