BIND 9.3.0rc4 is now available.

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Sep 8 20:58:25 UTC 2004

> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:16:10AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > 	You appear to be unaware of the dig's capabilities.
> >
> > % dig +search +noall +answer -f -
> > drugs
> > drugs.dv.isc.org.       86400   IN      A       192.168.191.236
> > farside
> > farside.isc.org.        3600    IN      A       204.152.187.5
> > %
>
> Yes, Mark, and we know how users love memorizing and typing in all the
> flags.  ;-)  They don't.

	That's what aliases / shell scripts are for

	alias mynslookup dig +search +noall +answer -f -

	$HOME/bin/mynslookup
	#!/bin/sh
	exec dig +search +noall +answer -f -

> As I had said, 'nslookup' is really only evil when using it to find
> problems with DNS.  If DNS is known to be set up correctly, then it's a
> perfectly adequate tool for what it's been used for 99.99% of the time
> - translating names to IP addresses and back.

	Actually what most people want for that is a wrapper to
	getaddrinfo().  Something that looks at DNS, NIS, /etc/hosts,
	LDAP or whatever other database they have for name to address
	translations and applies the default search list.  None of
	host/nslookup/dig really meets the requirements.

	perl and it's ability to call getaddrinfo() etc. does.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org