"DNS server for Windows XP?"

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Wed Sep 8 04:23:37 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net>
To: "Virgo_guy" <swcols at hotmail.com>; <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: "DNS server for Windows XP?"

> At 03:47 PM 9/4/2004, Virgo_guy wrote:
>>Is there such a thing as a DNS server for windows xp for use on a
>>windows XP only home LAN network (no server)?
>
> BIND 9 runs quite well on Windows XP.
>
>>If there is is it secure?=20
>
> BIND 9.3.0 (in release candidate now rc4) is as secure as can be.
> It runs as a service under a named account with minimum privilege.
> If it's internal only then security is not an issue.
>
>>Also, I am running a firewall router.
>
> Inside the firewall there's no problem.

Danny, I haven't looked at BIND 9.3.0 yet.  Is running under a user
account now a requirement for running 9.3.0 on all Windows platforms?  Or
are you just saying it's now possible to run with minimum privileges
whereas it wasn't possible previously?  I take the installation is a bit
different from prior versions where BIND's dlls were installed in system
directories?