bind 9.2.3 does not run threaded on Linux RH Enterprise

Mats Dufberg dufberg at telia.net
Fri Sep 3 15:11:54 UTC 2004

We have Intel servers with dual CPU and hyper threading (4 logical CPU's)
running "Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)" with kernel
2.4.26smp.

We want to run bind 9.2.3 threaded on those machines, so I've configured
with --enable-threads and compiled. There are no compilation error, but
when I execute bind it just starts and disappear. The only traces are the
following log entries

   ... named[28838]: starting BIND 9.2.3 -u named -c /etc/named.conf
   ... named[28838]: using 4 CPUs

I've tried to increase logging but no more traces are given.

We also tried BIND 9.2.4rc7 with the same result.

Does anybody have any information to share?

Mats