rndc: connect failed: connection refused

Greg Mathews greg at hostingtheinter.net
Sun Oct 17 12:11:29 UTC 2004

Hi

If this isn't the right list for this I appologise now

To restart named etc I've been using the command line

/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart

but recently this has stopped working, ie restart will stop named but
doesn't restart it again

when I attempt to start named using rndc it returns the error

'rndc: connect failed: connection refused'

the key in both named.conf and rndc.conf are the same, in my named.conf I
have the control section

controls {
inet 127.0.0.1 allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "dnsadmin" ; };
};

and the options section in the rndc section is

options {
     default-key "dnsadmin";
     default-server 127.0.0.1;
};

Any idea's why rndc is failing to connect?

Thanks

Greg