bind hassles

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 11 23:58:33 UTC 2004

In article <ckf3oa$2gti$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "Billy K" <private at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I have been given documentation that states bind is running on a server.  As
> far as I can tell I cannot see it as a running process while running
> ps -aux, unless its currently stopped.

Were you looking for "bind"?  The name of the process is "named".

dig version.bind txt chaos @<server-addr>

> Is there an easy way of knowing what is running on each server and where all
> configuration and source installation files are.

The main configuration file is normally /etc/named.conf, and it may (and
often does) contain a "directory" option that specifies where the rest
of the config files are.  An alternate configuration file can be
specified using a command-line option when starting the daemon, so you
need to check the command line shown by "ps" to be sure.

There's no standard place for the source files -- they don't even need
to be on the system at all (they could have deleted them after
installing, or downloaded the binaries from somewhere).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA