What is named.run?

Bill Larson bind9 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 23 22:27:44 UTC 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 7:52 AM, Daniel Rudy wrote:

> At about the time of 11/22/2004 4:27 PM, Kevin Darcy stated the
> following:
>
>> Daniel Rudy wrote:
>>

>>> I'm seeing this file in two places, / and /etc/namedb.  What is this
>>> file and why is it showing up and how do I tell bind where to put it.
>>> It looks like it contains information dealing with the startup of
>>> bind.
>>>
>>> I'm running BIND 8.3.7-REL on FreeBSD 4.10.
>>>

>> That's where named writes its debug output. My assumption would be
>> that
>> you have debug turned on in the startup.
>
> I have the d1 option on the command line, so in case something goes
> wrong, I can look back and see what happened.  I went through the
> logging config, created different logging channels, and directed them
> syslog local facilies.  So the output is either to one of the 3 syslog
> facilites or to /dev/null.  Now if there is a message category that is
> not in the man page, I don't know what it would be.  Unless of course I
> missed a category...

How about the "default_debug" category that is used when "named" starts
up when the debug level isn't set to zero.  (Look at the BIND ARM.)

Your "named" process will do some logging, at least opening up the log
file, before "named" reads the configuration file where the location is
reset to your desired location.  Setting the debug level causes logging
to "named.run" when "named" starts and won't be redirected until the
configuration file is read.

Bill Larson