What is named.run?

Daniel Rudy 5n6o7.8d9c0r1u2d3y4.5s6p7a8m9 at 0e1m2a3i4l5.6p7a8c9b0e1l2l3.4i5n6v7a8l9i0d1.2n3e4t5
Tue Nov 23 14:52:37 UTC 2004

At about the time of 11/22/2004 4:27 PM, Kevin Darcy stated the following:

> Daniel Rudy wrote:
>

>>I'm seeing this file in two places, / and /etc/namedb.  What is this
>>file and why is it showing up and how do I tell bind where to put it.
>>It looks like it contains information dealing with the startup of bind.
>>
>>I'm running BIND 8.3.7-REL on FreeBSD 4.10.
>>

> That's where named writes its debug output. My assumption would be that
> you have debug turned on in the startup.
>
> - Kevin

I have the d1 option on the command line, so in case something goes
wrong, I can look back and see what happened.  I went through the
logging config, created different logging channels, and directed them to
syslog local facilies.  So the output is either to one of the 3 syslog
facilites or to /dev/null.  Now if there is a message category that is
not in the man page, I don't know what it would be.  Unless of course I
missed a category...

logging {
        channel syslogd {
                syslog local6;
                severity notice;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time no;
                };
        channel debugfile {
                syslog local5;
                severity dynamic;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time no;
                };
        channel queryfile {
                syslog local4;
                severity dynamic;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time no;
                };

        category default                { syslogd; debugfile; };
        category cname                  { null; };
        category config                 { null; };
        category db                     { null; };
        category eventlib               { null; };
        category insist                 { debugfile; };
        category lame-servers           { syslogd; };
        category load                   { null; };
        category maintenance            { debugfile; };
        category ncache                 { null; };
        category notify                 { syslogd; };
        category os                     { syslogd; default_stderr;
debugfile; };
        category packet                 { null; };
        category panic                  { syslogd; default_stderr;
debugfile; };
        category parser                 { null; };
        category queries                { queryfile; };
        category response-checks        { null; };
        category security               { syslogd; };
        category statistics             { syslogd; };
        category update                 { syslogd; };
        category update-security        { syslogd; };
        category xfer-in                { syslogd; };
        category xfer-out               { syslogd; };
};

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been encoded to reduce spam.
Remove all numbers, then remove invalid, email, no, and spam to reply.