slow query question: solved

jeff donovan jdonovan at beth.k12.pa.us
Fri Nov 5 06:17:31 UTC 2004

On Nov 4, 2004, at 7:54 PM, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> jeff donovan wrote:
>
>> greetings
>> I think i have my dns setup incorrectly but i can't put my finger on
>> where the problem is.
>>
>> i have two dns servers; one internal and one external of a firewall.
>>
>> machines on the inside of my network have to send a second request to
>> obtain an address. if i use the external dns the reply is much faster.
>>
>> Where in the config files do I look to find where my internal dns Is
>> requesting it's information from? does it get it's info from
>> resolv.conf?
>> running bind 9.2.2
>>
> No, it doesn't look at resolv.conf. It either uses a compiled-in set of
> "hints" for the root servers, a "hints" file that you explicitly
> provide, or forwards to nameservers that you explicitly configure.
>
> So, bottom line, if you haven't configured anything special, it's using
> the compiled-in root hints, and you need to make sure that you have DNS
> open through your firewall from the internal nameserver to every
> possible nameserver that you might want to query for DNS.

Hi kevin,
thanks for the reply.

It turns out that my dns setup is fine, however i did discover that my
internal dns server ( G4 500 MacOSX 10.3.5 Bind 9.2.2 ) was the
culprit.  not sure specifically what about this box made things slow,
but i switched to my original configuration with 10.1.2 and all is
working well. i suspect the 10.3.5 upgrade screwed things up. i have
been hearing rumors about BSD systems and IPv6 issues.
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041102083044472

I'll have to dig deeper to find out what the problem was.

--j

jeff donovan
basd network operations
(610) 807 5571 x41