slow query question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Nov 5 00:54:49 UTC 2004

jeff donovan wrote:

>greetings
>I think i have my dns setup incorrectly but i can't put my finger on
>where the problem is.
>
>i have two dns servers; one internal and one external of a firewall.
>
>machines on the inside of my network have to send a second request to
>obtain an address. if i use the external dns the reply is much faster.
>
>Where in the config files do I look to find where my internal dns Is
>requesting it's information from? does it get it's info from
>resolv.conf?
>running bind 9.2.2

No, it doesn't look at resolv.conf. It either uses a compiled-in set of
"hints" for the root servers, a "hints" file that you explicitly
provide, or forwards to nameservers that you explicitly configure.

So, bottom line, if you haven't configured anything special, it's using
the compiled-in root hints, and you need to make sure that you have DNS
open through your firewall from the internal nameserver to every
possible nameserver that you might want to query for DNS.

- Kevin