Linux DNS

David Price davelist at blackhole.com
Wed May 26 22:36:55 UTC 2004

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>

>>I would like to know why is it that after IT switched over to linux DNS
>>servers me and all my fellow co workers keep getting disconnected from any
>>shares we might be connected to and if we are already logged into the
>>network when I open up Outlook it prompts me to login again after I already
>>did.  Sometimes it says that it cannot find the domain I am trying to log
>>in.  Ever since they moved W2K DNS we have been having this problem.  Could
>>someone point me into the right direction so I can try to help them and
>>hopefully appliy for a helpdesk corrdinators position down there.  Thanks
>>

> Well, it's not entirely clear that all of those problems -- or any of
> them, for that matter -- are DNS-related. But if they are, I think you
> primarily have Microsoft to blame for making products that are not
> easily and seamlessly interoperable with third-party DNS implementations.

This is very common and is what you would expect if the DNS servers your
computer is using are not the Active-Directory Integrated zones built by
the Windows 2K/2K3 Domain Controller(s). The Active Directory DNS
servers have SVR records pointing to many of the services provided by
the Domain Controllers. If these SVR records are not properly setup in
the DNS for the domain you are trying to work on your computer won't
know how to do things like finding shares and authenticating you with
the Domain Controller.

-David Price