thoughts on views and zone transfers

Anne Bennett anne at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed May 26 17:42:41 UTC 2004

Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> responds to me:

> If this is just a network optimization, and it wouldn't be the end of
> the world for a client to occasionally cross VLANs to get to its server,

I just checked with our network people; that seems to be the case.
There is some packetfiltering, but we think we can handle any special
cases in that area.

However, I have just read the description of sortlists; why *would*
a client ever get the wrong server, in this scenario (assuming I had
configured the sortlists correctly)?  Hmm, my thought is that the server
would return the responses sorted correctly, but the client might for some
reason disregard the ordering and use an address other than the first
(though I don't see why it would).  I suppose the other possibility is
that a busy network might cause an attempt to access the first address
to time out, and the client might fall back to another address.  Am I
understanding this correctly?

> why not just dump all of the "view" ugliness in favor of multiple A
> records and sortlists?

I was not aware of sortlists before now.  I thought I had read the
whole "Chapter 6. BIND 9 Configuration Reference", but clearly I had
not remembered all of it!  Thanks for the pointer; I'm off to see if I
can make sortlists do what we need.  They certainly look promising!

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285