thoughts on views and zone transfers

Stanley Liu stanley.liu at toyota.com.au
Wed May 26 01:37:13 UTC 2004

> Anne Bennett wrote:

<snip>
> >Just so you all realize how bletcherously ugly all of this is: since my
> >master is currently also a resolver, I actually have 20 views on it,
> >10 for use by the slaves ("match-clients { slaves; };") where views
> >are dispatched based on the address used for the master
> >("match-destinations { my_addr_on_local_vlan_123; };"), and another 10
> >views for use by the clients, where views are dispatched based on the
> >client's address ("match-clients { addrs_on_vlan_123; };").  *shudder*

We use views and they are ungly.  We also have about 10 views serving
different groups of interests - parent company in Japan, business partners
etc.  Our master and slaves are resolvers also.  But we do not have
"match-destinations" in our config.  We only have "match-clients" and zone
transfers seem to work fine.  And as a result, we do not have 20 views like
you - just 10.  May be you should check.

The situation we are in, it is more beneficial if Views are operated within
the Zone statements rather than the other way round - the current way.

Stanley