refresh failure trying master x.x.x.x#53: timed out

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri May 14 13:35:47 UTC 2004

    Hakan> 14:31:40 WEB named[10664]: zone refusetowork.com/IN: refresh: failure trying master 3.1.71.10#53: timed out
    Hakan> May 14 14:32:25 WEB last message repeated 3 times

    Hakan> (IP & domains been scrambled :) they are correct in my real
    Hakan> configs...)

Stupid very this very is. Ever don't it do.

Words in my answer above have been scrambled. They are correct in my
real one.

If you expect to get help here, it is ESSENTIAL that this list gets to
see EXACTLY what your name server sees and what it prints in the logs.
Editing or scrambling that information is confusing and downright
stupid. It may also be counter-productive because your attempts to
conceal that information introduces other errors. So people waste time
fixing them instead of the real problem. If your car breaks down, would
you take your neighbour's car to the garage "because it looks a bit
like yours" and expect the mechanics to use that to diagnose what's
wrong with your car?

The log message is just telling you that your server's attempts to
reach the zone master at 3.1.71.10 have timed out. This could be for
many reasons. The master could be dead or unreachable. Or it's too
busy to handle refresh queries. But since we don't know the actual
name of that server or the zone in question because you deliberately
hid that information it's impossible for anyone here to help.

There are no mind-readers or psychics on this list AFAIK.