Looking at Cache

Matt nospam.hciss at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 18:44:29 UTC 2004

> >> rndc dumpdb
>
> > Does not work.  Tried it on my other Linux box running as an email
server
> > and it works there.  Is there a setting somewhere I could have messed up
> > causing it to not cache?
>
> > Matt
>
> *what* does not work ? Does 'rndc' give an error ( faulty
> rndc/key setup) ?  Or don't you find the file ( you can
> specify where it will go to ; options dump-file :
> "dump-file

My bad.  Did not really explain that well at all.

I do "rndc dumpdb" and it returns instantly.  According to "rndc --help" its
supposed to dump this to "named_dump.db".  So after the "rndc dumpdb" I do
"locate -u" then "locate named_dump.db" and it finds no such file.  I try
this same procedure on my linux email server running bind/named and it
outputs the dump file where its supposed to be with about a ~meg of data in
it.

So I think somehow it much not be caching.  The DNS lookup part does work
though so I assume its just not caching.

Matt

>     The pathname of the file the server dumps the database to when
instructed to do so with rndc dumpdb. If not specified, the default is
named_dump.db."