Understanding or configuration problem?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 3 19:55:39 UTC 2004

In article <c75vs3$1646$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Peters, Michael D." <Michael.Peters at acbl.net> wrote:

> I have a public BIND server running with version 9.2.3 on Solaris. From the
> outside, I can get the correct information about those hosts I have existing
> records for. Now if I request information about an external host, then I get
> a whole string of useless information. I presume this is a configuration
> issue at my end. I am interested in knowing why it behaves this way.

It looks like you have recursion disabled on the server, i.e. you have
"recursion no;" in the options section of named.conf.

> As a public DNS server that only should be concerned with my public hosts,
> is this a bad thing? My concern is that it might interfere with SMTP or
> something else that relies on DNS.

If this server is only supposed to be used as the authoritative server
for your domains, it's a good configuration.  But if you also use it as
the caching server for clients or servers on your network, you need to
enable recursion.  You can use the "allow-recursion" option to restrict
who can use it this way.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA