Understanding or configuration problem?

Peters, Michael D. Michael.Peters at acbl.net
Mon May 3 17:31:06 UTC 2004

I have a public BIND server running with version 9.2.3 on Solaris. From the
outside, I can get the correct information about those hosts I have existing
records for. Now if I request information about an external host, then I get
a whole string of useless information. I presume this is a configuration
issue at my end. I am interested in knowing why it behaves this way.

As a public DNS server that only should be concerned with my public hosts,
is this a bad thing? My concern is that it might interfere with SMTP or
something else that relies on DNS.

Any thoughts of recommendations for proper and secure DNS configurations?

> yahoo.com
Server:  pollux. lazarusalliance.com
Address:  68.16.185.134

Name:    yahoo.com