[Q]: Bind behaviour with Internet down....

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 29 09:55:45 UTC 2004

In article <c3o08l$93f$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 cwbshaw at hotmail.com (Chris Bradshaw) wrote:

> Hi....
>
> I have a primary DNS server for our zone (and some subzones) which is
> using Bind v9.1.
>
> I thought that all local queries were resolved by our local DNS
> server, but I have noticed that when clients on our network request a
> name -> IP resolution for a local host which our DNS server should be
> able to answer, our DNS server still tries to contact the root DNS
> servers configured in our root.hints file.

Do you have an RFC 2317-style reverse delegation?  If so, the local
server needs to look in the parent zone to find the CNAME records that
translate to the locally-administered reverse records.

The solution to this problem is to make your server a slave of the
reverse zone that your ISP operates.  You may need to contact them so
they'll add your server address to its "allow-transfer" access list.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA