redirect non-existant address

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Mar 27 00:24:13 UTC 2004

swift wrote:

>Hello,
>
>i'm using bind 9.2.3. How can i setup zone file to have all non-existant
>addresses from given domain pointing to specified ip. I've already tried:
>
>*.domain.com   IN A   ip_addr
>but it was resolving non-existant addresses only locally inside my
>network, and then
>
>*   IN A   ip_addr
>this time it was resolving each non-existant domain (even one not from
>domain.com) i typed to ip_addr (only locally inside my network, outside
>it was working ok).
>
>I want it to resolve only _bogus_.domain.com to ip_addr.
>
>Is any of above correct or maybe there is another way to do it?

Well, you haven't given us any details on how your nameservice is
configured as far as name resolution "inside" your network versus name
resolution "outside" your network, so it's impossible to know how to
meet your requirements. Given your original problem description -- "...
have all non-existant [sic] addresses from given domain pointing to
specified ip" -- one of the above approaches should have worked. Perhaps
you should give some examples of lookups you expected to be wildcarded
but weren't, or did not expect to be wildcarded but were, when you
tested the two approaches above.

- Kevin