Transfering Views of Split Zone

Crist J. Clark cjc at blossom.cjclark.org
Fri Mar 19 23:46:26 UTC 2004

I believe the best way to explain my problem is to give a simplified
example of what I'd like to do.

Server A is a centralized master for _all_ of the organization's
zones. This is to ease administration. Server A also functions as the
internal DNS server.

Server B is at another location and is dual purpose. It serves
internal clients, but also servers the organization's registered
domains to Internet clients. B is a slave to A.

The zone "example.com" has two views (in the BIND sense of "views"),
an internal one and an external one (the Internet clients). Server A
has two master files, one for the internal zone and one for the
external zone.

The problem: How do I get the internal and external views of
"example.com" to Server B?

If Server A has Server B in its internal view, Server B _always_ gets
the internal zone no mater which view on B is trying to update. If
Server A has B in the external zone, B always gets the external. The
problem is, AFAIK, there is no mechanism within the XFR protocols to
specify a view. Server A gets a XFR request for "example.com" from
Server B's IP address, and that's all it knows.

Is there some hackish, kludgy way to work around this without adding
new servers and keeping A the master of all of the zones? Is there a
really nice clean way (perhaps some trick within DNSSEC)? And if a
workaround exists, what would be the least kludgy way to do it?
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark at alum.mit.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc at freebsd.org