internal secondary cache & external as well

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 21:22:21 UTC 2004

On Thursday 04 March 2004 10:09, jack hornar wrote:
> The answer that springs to mind is that this new dns server need be
> simply a secondary cache...   but how tro get it resolving internakls
> from one service and externals from ...  where?

On my OS, Slackware, this is almost a no-brainer. The BIND package
comes with sample configuration and zone files which do the external
recursive resolving. You could get those sample files from a Slackware
FTP mirror site, such as this:
    ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-current/source/n/bind/caching-example

Next thing, you'll want your own local forward and reverse zones. This
is a bit more complicated, but not that difficult, and IMO pretty well-
covered in the BIND documentation. (You DID look at the documentation,
did you not?)

You'd set both servers as NS records for the local zones, and make one
a master and the other a slave. Each would have the same root zone,
such as from the aforementioned caching-example.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header