BIND and DNS...can I do this?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Mar 3 19:43:47 UTC 2004

Jason <jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:
> There is no hiding in the fact that I am new to both BIND and DNS. That
> much is true. But, im looking to build my knowledge of both as quickly
> as I can.

Good. I'd recomment a book "Managing DNS and BIND, 4-th ed" from o'reilly,
it will significantly shorten your learning cycle.

> I wanted to ask a few questions about DNS setup in general and if I can
> a few things im considering. A little background at the moment.

> Currently, we are using our ISP's DNS server for all our information:
> pop, smtp, mail, www etc. My plans are to host our hown DNS server down
> the road.

> In the meantime, i've setup a few internal web servers on our company
> intranet and what I want to do now, is setup a DNS server inside our
> network and create zone records to point to these web servers for our users.

> Let's say that my domain is: hotair.com  :)

> Is it possible, to setup a BIND server on our private LAN, that can have
> a zone for hotair.com and I can add hosts for the web servers that I
> have recently put up? Like, web1.hotair.com or web5.hotair.com.

Yes. In fact if you make your server a master for that zone it will
never "go out" and retreive anything about that zone any more, it
has all info about this zone.

> I know it is possible, but my question is, if I do setup a zone for
> hotair.com on my DNS server and being that my ISP is hosting a dns zone
> for hotair.com (that contains smtp, pop, mail etc.) will that cause
> complications?

It will work if you add everything in that zone ( all 'A' records, 'MX'
records etc that your current ISP has.In addition you can add more items
which will only be found if one asks your server. That's called "split-dns"

> The other idea I have is adding a private name, like
> internal.hotair.com, but i'd prefer to keep names short, if possible.

In the long run that's probably more efficient, at least with all
resources not visible from outside.

> I appreciate the help.

There is a chapter of the mentioned book onlline, in fact just the
one you need :
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/chapter/ch11.html

--
Peter Håkanson