Zone transfer frequency

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 2 18:44:37 UTC 2004

In article <c22kbt$171s$1 at sf1.isc.org>, blair at nct.com.au (Blair Venn)
wrote:

> I am having a hard time finding documentation on BIND.  Can someone
> please give me a rough idea of how master/slave zone transfers work
> and whether the frequency of transfers is configurable etc.

The Refresh parameter in the SOA record of a zone tells the slave
servers how often they should query the master server to see if the
serial number has increased.  If it has, they'll perform a zone
transfer.  If NOTIFY is enabled, the master server will notify the
slaves whenever a zone is updated, and they'll do a zone transfer
immediately.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA