Shadow Namespace and Microsoft DNS

KD5ZMG my00sc00by at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 14:01:21 UTC 2004

What I mean is how do I implement a split zone with a, MS DNS server?  How could I do it if I am running a Unix DNS externally as the secondary for the MS integrated AD that does DNS for their delegated zone.  So basically my environment is, the primary masters for the AD zones are MS DNS servers not running BIND, and the resolvers are secondary for all zones including the parent zone.  My external resolvers are also split namespace for the parent zone.

It sounds like a big bowl of spaghetti, but it really is not too bad.
Barry Finkel <b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov> wrote:
KD5ZMG wrote:

>Is there anyone running a split namespace nameserver on Micrsoft?
>
>How does this work with and AD environment?
>
>thanks.
>
>Mark "Hamzter" C
>kd5zmg

I am not sure what you mean. The MS DNS Server software does not
support split views, so there is no way to run that configuration on
MS DNS software. You can run BIND on W2k with split views. As for
working with an AD environment -- I am not sure what you are expecting.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

Mark "Hamzter" C
kd5zmg