Multiple Network Subnets within same Domain Name Zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 23 18:41:13 UTC 2004

Saunders, Shawn wrote:

>I have always restricted a single domain to a single network/subnet.  So all
>I need is forward / reverse for our two internal networks, and forward only
>for our public IP hosts that are part of the same domain.

You can't forward queries on a per-host basis, unless you define
separate zones for each of those hosts, which would be a pain. So if you
really want to use forwarding for this, you may be better off defining a
separate subdomain for your external hosts, and then delegating that
subdomain. Or, maintain separate internal-vs-external versions of the
zone, as described earlier, and maintain them in parallel.

                                                - Kevin