BIND 9 AAAA record problems

wbwither at bobball.uchicago.edu wbwither at bobball.uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 23 16:12:10 UTC 2004

Hello list,

I'm having trouble when a client requests an AAAA record for my site.  I
don't have any AAAA records, only A records.  (fyi: the site is
www.efori.com)
I have gone from BIND 8.3.7 to 8.4.1 to 9.2.2 on FreeBSD 4.9 in order to
try to fix this.  Obviously I've got something wrong elsewhere since none
of these versions of BIND has worked.  On Mozilla/Linux, I can trace 4
AAAA query, 5 seconds apart, to my ISP's DNS server.  Only after these 4
have failed do I send an A query.  My dumb Windows machine will connect
immediately, as it only sends A queries.  AAAA queries for other domains
on my ISP's DNS server resolve as they should, so it's not their fault
either.
I know that BIND should return an empty, non-error response.  But what do
I need to configure in order for this to happen?
Thank you,

-Brock Witherspoon