please help

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Jun 15 18:07:38 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 02:19 am, George wrote:

> Sorry to ask this but I seem to be having a few problems here as we
> all know sending mail using cc is a prime way spammers get through to
> people, I am using a spam filter http://www.stop.spam-now.com that
> allows me to setup mailing lists and allows everything sent to the
> mailing list and then sent out by that list through. The problem is
> that it seems many people have started sending the posts to people
> and cc'ing the list this now means that the list address is in the cc
> field and is a potential spammer.

As others have replied, this is the way "Reply-All" works, and Reply-All
is the way most people reply to lists configured so "Reply-To" goes to
the sender.

So this is the way the Internet works, has worked, and likely will work.

Whoever is running stop.spam-now is wrong, and if you quote them, you're
wrong. Sending to anyone in the CC field vs the To field hasn't
anything to do with spam or spammers, and in fact "sending mail using
cc" is NOT a prime way spammers get through to people.

If you must use a spam-stopping service, try to find one with clue.

Or live with the results.  The Internet isn't going to change because
you'd like it to.  Nor even because I'd like it to <smile>.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation