Looking for DNS reverse lookup service

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 15 17:47:56 UTC 2004

In article <canb4d$1u6h$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Steve Friedl <steve at unixwiz.net> wrote:
> There is no authoritative way to collect this information: one can only
> accumulate it as one does lots of domain-name stuff over time. I have
> seen a service he's asking about, and I thought it was from Netcraft or
> one of the other uptime companies. They are in a position to notice that
> multiple www addresses resolve to a single IP.

Yes, it seems like a service that a large ISP could provide, by
periodically dumping and indexing their nameserver caches.  It wouldn't
get *all* names that point to an address, but it would get many of them,
and in particular it would get the popular names.  It could also have a
temporal index, so you could see associations that existed in the past
but no longer do.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA