Looking for DNS reverse lookup service

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Tue Jun 15 07:57:39 UTC 2004

Alan Shackelford wrote:
>I don't really think this is possible unless you have access to the
>files representing the zone data on the primary master DNS. Even then
>there is nothing to say there is not a name from a totally separate DNS
>pointing to the IP address. So if you saw such a thing it was either a
>false claim or a scam. I can't see how one could possibly guarantee
>accuracy in the moving, changeable Internet (I have enough trouble
>within JHU and JHMI).
>
>Alan

I agree. To really do this you would need to get and analyse a
zonetransfer from every existing domain (even those not delegated) AND
data would have to be so new that nothing has expired.

Not all servers would allow the same site to do the transfer, so alone
for this reason it is impossible; even if you had the bandwidth and
processing power. I will call that a false claim.

How, by the way, would you handle wildcards? (The name I will call my
server in a minute?)

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen